Chummers! Being a wageslave not sounding too wiz? Come risk your
hoop in the sprawl and run the shadows! The corps need slots
like us to clean up their drek and they are willing to throw some
wiz cred at us for it. Sure, there's a little risk involved, but
I know you can handle yourself. Null sheen, neh?" That's
just a 'star decker scanning for drek-for-brains wannabes to toss
in jail. Scan this, I know a guy who knows a guy. You want to
try your hand in the shadows, let me know omae. When I get back
in my meatbod, maybe we can get a drink and talk some more, right
now Fido's telling me he found my paydata, catch ya on the meatside
omae. And upgrade that fraggin' tortoise your jacking in with!
Real world location: Rice University
Game world location: Based out of Seattle
Start date: FEB2001
GM: Michael J. Casavant
Players: Corey Radloff, Reema, Angelo Benedetto, Lars
Ericson, and Mason Hart (for the first half)
The basic premise is that when the game starts, the group is
a team of sorts. Even if they don't like each other, they are
willing to risk their hoop for each other and put up with a little
drek from their chummers. We can work out why they trust each
other together, but there is one important plotpoint that the
game begins with:
The PCs must have a reason to be getting
blind drunk at a bar in the middle of nowhere outside of Seattle.
It can be a reunion, a celebration, or whatever.
reminders for character creation
- You do not need 6's! Please please please do not feel you
need a 6 to be good at something. 5 is great for most things.
A pistoleer should probably have a 5(6), 6, or 5(7). A Mage
or Shaman should probably have 5 or 6 in Sorcery and Conjuring.
A bare knuckles fighter should probably have Unarmed 5 or 6,
but please take a look at my Shadowreality
page and think about what the numbers mean. If you make balanced,
reasonable characters, it allows me to challenge you with balanced,
reasonable bad guys.
- Making the skills fit the idea - just to be clear, if you
have a low Charisma and no Intimidation skill, you are not generally
intimidating. Your PC may very well be able to crush the life
out of the person in question but the PC is simply unable to
convey that capability or the willingness to do it.
- Starting gear is limited to Availability 8
- Starting skills and spells limited to a rating of 6
- Use my nifty Karma-Based Priority
System to build your character, and use the nifty Excel
I made to simplify your life (Office 2000, PC format).
- Take a look at "What
The Numbers Mean" on my Shadowreality
- I am using the Advanced Melee rules from Cannon Companion,
to include Marital Arts. Don't worry, you can just take Brawling
and be more or less done with it if you don't want to worry
about nifty maneuvers.
- Warning: I am not sure if I want to allow bioware at all because
it tends to be just so very power gamy and annoying to play
with. If someone wants it, then we can talk more about it.
Unless your character concept defies this please purchase
the following at a minimum, with at least Rating 3:
- One Combat Skill - Even if you are a Street Mage, some form
of firearm or melee combat is useful. I would highly recommend
one of each.
- Stealth - Because sneaking and hiding are considered separate
specializations, you'll probably need the general skill at a
3 or 4, but beyond that specializing in hiding or sneaking would
probably fit a lot of concepts.
- Athletics - You'll probably need it; most cool combat moves
- Character's socialization
- Etiquette; specialize Etiquette in a subculture appropriate
to the character's background unless there is an in-character
rationale for not being specialized.
- One Area Knowledge
skill that reflects a place the character knows well, e.g.
the neighborhood he grew up in or the area he has worked in
Minimum Team Skills
At least one person on the team should have at least a Rating
4 in the following skills.
- Biotech - If everyone had at least Biotech (First Aid) 1(3)
it would be best, but that would not fit all concepts, of course.
- Electronics Build/Repair
- Gunnery (and/or Launch Weapons)
- Heavy Weapons
- Stealth - At least one person should have a 5 or 6 in this.
- the tales of this team's runs will be told by the runners. See
the War Stories page for more info.