Battle Report 30 - Hunting the Hunter
Tyranids vs. Space Wolves
Composed by Michael J. Casavant (Hive Fleet Phage)
- Date - 20OCT2002
- Points - 1700
- Scenario - Strongpoint Attack
- Hive Fleet Phage, Tyranid Army List [played
by Michael J. Casavant]
- Space Wolves Space Marines [played by
- Result - Victory for Hive Fleet Phage, 1372 VPs
- VPs, Hive Fleet Phage 2013, 400 (2 bunkers) + 1613 kills
(all but Scout squad)
- VPs, Food 641 kills - (Lightning, Red Terror, 1/2 Lysogaunt
brood, 1/2 Spinegaunt brood, 1/2 Mutable Carnifex)
- Battle Honours
- Lost - Space Wolves lost Bodvar's Pack (Tankhunters) and
- Hive Fleet Phage - Lightning Gamma Type (Hardened Fighter).
- Food - ?
Firmus Mutare Campaign, game nine. A battle to take the Studio
Caelitus from the Space Wolves. We rolled a Strongpoint Attack
mission. This territory is cool because it allows you to equip
a single unit (20 models or less) with a nanotech upgrade:
- Nanotech Body Armor: Provides 5+ Invulnerable Save
- Nanoblades: One-handed weapon that gives +1 Strength and
behaves like a Heavy Close Combat Weapon (4+ save is best possible).
- Thermal Masking Suit: Unit can Infiltrate and is only spotted
by sentries on 4+ (roll once for whole unit).
- Nano-Bio Med Unit: Unit may reroll one failed armor save
Naming convention: The food that have faced Hive Fleet Phage
have named the Hive Tyrants that continue to plague them. The
one that trudges forward implacably with an escort of Tyrant Guard
they call "Thunder." The swift winged beast that races
across the battlefield and shatters bodies and vehicles alike
has been dubbed "Lightning." They have also named the
Carnifex engine of destruction, "Mjolnir".
Things have been pretty hectic, so this will be brief.
Turn 0 - I did not get a free Preliminary Bombardment because
this is a mission with Sentries. We rolled for minor Psychic Powers
(special rule from a territory I hold), but I ended up with nothing.
- Lightning managed to have no effect with six hits on the Venerable
- Lightning was killed off by the explosion of a Rhino it assaulted.
- The scouts popped onto the board on turn 4 and whacked the
- We did not resolve the end of turn 4, i.e. my turn, but we
decided to call it.
My thanks to Frank for a fun game. Strongpoint Attack is a tough
mission to defend against the Tyranids, and Frank's 3+ saves were
more like 4+ saves with the way his dice were rolling. :)